Friday, August 27, 2010

Say it AND Spray it.

Jackson Pollock once said, "Every good painter paints what he is." 

Pollock's chaotic abstracts have always peeked my interest, and so in a fit of self-discovery I brought out the acrylics and spray paint. I started off flicking acrylic paint from a tooth brush onto the 80's vinyl records of men-who-look-like-women before they were forgotten within the grunge of the 90's and the Gaga's of the new millennium. Before I could create anything Pollock-esque, my self-inflections took a turn toward the art of Banksy; a well-known ruffian from across the pond known for his deft hands with a spray can and nimble legs for escaping the "bobbies." 

Combining Pollock's self-inflective painting and Banksy's stenciled tagging I thought back to my video gamer roots and sprayed one of my oldest buddies from way-back-when...before I had discovered the sun (Make all your "know your roots" jokes now).

Stay Cultured,
Culture Hound

They have so many possibilities when they are blank.
My old friend Yoshi
If you look at him, he will stop moving.
Tried for Bubble Bobble, came out rough...
AND went for the hat trick by hollowing out a book...sacrilegious,
but a necessity for all of us spies.






1 comment:

  1. "...men-who-look-like-women before they were forgotten within the grunge of the 90's and the Gaga's of the new millennium..."
    But she brings it full circle, one of the gigs in her earlier career was opening for Semi Precious Weapons, a band she continues to promote.

    ReplyDelete